How to Be a Badass Creative
Congrats! You are a creative genius!
As they say, that and five bucks will get you a latte. So how‘re you gonna make those five bucks, anyway?
No matter how creative you are, whether you work alone or want to start a small company, you need to know some business basics. The evolution from being a creator to being a successful creative business has many challenges – learning the “boring” stuff doesn’t have to be one of them.
Join Chicago Creative Coalition as our cracker-jack panel discusses what you need to know to be a badass creative, including (and bear with us here):
- business structure, contracts, intellectual property protection, employment;
- accounting and business advisory perspective; and
- marketing & business development.
OK. I know that sounded like everything you purposefully turned your back on to do your own thing; but if you want to make real money, you at least need to know the basics about what you don’t know.
Keeping it real will be the job of Kathleen Kearns, founder of Kearns Design Group, and president of Chicago Creative Coalition. Our business experts include:
- Nate Azark, founder and creative director of 12 Line Studio, a design and illustration firm specialized in branding, illustration, print and web design; and a member and mentor at 2112. Nate is especially noted for his concert posters which grew into a business that is continuing to expand.
- Mikhael Bortz, is an entertainment law, intellectual property, and business attorney, and a member and mentor at 2112. Bortz Law Firm represents creatives, musicians, filmmakers, production companies, start-up businesses, and established brands in making exciting deals happen, and ensuring that legal rights and business interests stay protected.
- Carolyn Potts, creative consultant to photographers, has been providing her consulting clients with both strategic marketing plans and compassionate butt-kicking. Her consultancy helps her clients successfully land the assignments they want and the projects they crave. cpotts.com
- Irv Michaels, founder of Michaels Consulting, is a business advisor to creative companies. Michaels Consulting helps creatives run their businesses from startup to sustainable growth through the creation of processes, accountability, and realistic risk assessment.
A big Thank You! to our collaborator and host, 2112, Chicago’s first incubator focused on the development of business and entrepreneurs in music, film/video and creative technology. Learn more and check out their roster of public events at 2112inc.com.
Just 10 bucks (two lattes) to members of 2112, Lawyers for the Creative Arts, and Chicago Creative Coalition. $5 for students, and $20 for everyone else.
Wednesday, November 28, 2018
6:00 p.m.networking and noshes
6:30 to 8:00 p.m our exciting program
4245 N. Knox Avenue
Chicago, IL 60641
Written by: mtanimura